47th World Congress on Dance Research CID at UNESCO
Congresses of the International Dance Council, which work in official partnership with UNESCO (consultative status) are open to intercultural cooperation and follow the fundamental principles of UNESCO and UNO activity. International Dance Council is called the United Nations Organization in dance as CID Congresses contribute to the creation of a global cultural platform with a positive world perception; create practical methods of society democratization, promoting patience and tolerance, which helps to preserve cultural diversity and features of the national heritage.
The 47th World Congress on Dance Research took place from 1 to 5 November 2016 in Saint- Petersburg. The congress was visited by 150 representatives from 25 countries, among them there are 15 Doctors of Philosophy, Linguistics, Sociology and Art history. The main topic of the congress was «Elitist art and mass culture in choreography». Within the congress were held two research-to-practice conferences were held which took place at Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia and the Hotel «Saint-Petersburg». There also were workshops, video presentations, performances, meetings of dance culture theorists, master classes and round table.
The expert panel of 47th Congress expressed the main strategic directions for preservation and development of world dance culture. Aforementioned proposals are addressed to NGO c/o UNESCO Presidium, international community, representatives of culture, arts, science and education:
- protection of the dance heritage throughout the world;
- recording and classification of intangible cultural heritage (in forms of rituals, folk, dancing and choreography);
- encourage and support the creation of information centers including a library, film library, record library, television film archives and all other forms of documentation related to dance;
- organizing research projects on dance phenomenon;
- facilitate the creation and diffusion of choreographic works;
- establishment of scientifically and practically oriented centers providing methodological, consultative and educational support in the field of choreography with provision for international certification requirements for this activity;
- distribution of information about CID – UNESCO’s activity.
Furthermore, specialists of the Congress sections during the wrapping-up of the event expressed the next suggestions, addressed to the national government of the countries participated in the Congress and recommendations to representatives of dance community:
- forming CID Sections (expert panel) for committee work on preserving intangible cultural heritage in every country, city;
- support international folk art and professional art projects; create new projects based on creative interaction and popularization of dancing in every country. Attract partners for financial support of scientists, performers and choreographers;
- expand the unique CID activity by establishing expert groups for certain projects implementation (e.g. verification of dance identity for those dances that are regarded as national / folk dances. The examination will be concluded by issue of the certificate of authenticity (or of non-compliance) of the dance product, confirmed by the CID-UNESCO Expert panel during Congresses;
- proceed with acknowledgement of memorable historic dates by presenting commemorative tokens,
- medals, diplomas from CID — UNESCO to people who made contribution to preserve the dance art as an intangible cultural heritage all over the world.